Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Duck Superstitions

SU.PER.STI.TION:
A belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstances, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.

   I am as superstitious as it gets when it comes to watching the Ducks.  They've changed a little over the years, but maintain the same principle...must repeat the behavior for the Ducks to have success.  One that I have right now goes back to the Dennis Dixon days.  I can't get caught up in the hype of the Ducks success, acknowledge how good they are, predict a win, or be cocky in any way.  This is what I did in 2007 before Dennis Dixon went down.
   Oregon was the best team in the nation and on their way to playing for the National championship, and then Dixon tore his ACL.  The Ducks would go on to finish the season with a three game losing streak before crushing South Florida in the Sun Bowl.  I was in a state of depression for the next couple of months.  I had gotten so pumped up with the thought of Oregon playing for the National championship, I set myself up for pain had the Ducks lost, which they did.  So now if you see me talking about why Oregon could lose, it's not because I think they will.  I'm just holding on to my superstition.  I even did the same thing last year for New Mexico and Portland State!
   Other superstitions include many popular favorites such as a certain outfit that you don't change until they lose.  Everything stays the same, right down to the underwear and socks.  I keep the ticket stubs for wins only.  If I'm watching a road game at home on TV, I have to sit in a certain way and can't move as long as the Ducks are in it.  If they're playing bad, I leave it on but have to leave the room.  I'll text a friend talking about how pissed off I am if the Ducks are playing bad, and right around that time, they'll do something good, so I'll keep talking bad, as if my negative energy will somehow lift them up to play better.
   Superstitions are silly, both for fans and players alike.  As if having a "lucky" pair of gameday underwear, sitting in a certain position, or watching the game alone or with friends is going to effect the outcome of the game.  Wearing a new pair of Fruit of the Looms is NOT going to make LmJ have a bad day.  But these superstitions have been around a long time for people.  You can bet that come this Saturday, I will be watching the game either in person, or in my room alone, in my lucky outfit, texting my homie anytime I need to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment