Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Who I Am As A Duck Fan

  I'll try to keep this short and simple, however, I love talking about my Ducks, so if I tend to go on, that's why.  I got here by clicking on a link to it that was posted on my facebook page.  I'm a third generation Duck.  My Grandpa was a Duck fan though he did go to Linfield, my Dad was a Duck grad, and my great uncle was a professor at UO.  My Dad raised me from the verry beginning to be a Duck.  Before I even got out of diapers, he would say "Go Ducks" to me and make me repeat it.  On a side note, my Mom tried the same thing with me, but I didn't listen because I wanted to please my Dad, and my Mom went to osu.  Her whole side of the family are beavers.  I thank God every day I listened to my Dad!
   I got my first taste of Duck football when I was six.  It was November 7th, 1992, and the Ducks were playing Cal.  It was my first sporting event I saw in person, and I was blown away:  the stadium, the crowd, the atmosphere, and the pageantry all made a lasting impression on me.  The Ducks won that day 37-17, and I came home a changed person.
   From that day forward I knew I wanted to be a Duck.  I wanted to play football there, and be a student.  I was a pretty good football player at McNary High School, but I lacked the committment on and off the field to get a lot of playing time.  That, and also because my position (receiver) was loaded with talent.  I played on a very talented team that included a two year stretch of going 24-2, and winning a state championship in 2001.  Unfortunately I didn't have the grades to get in to UO, where I would've attempted to walk on.  After taking a break from school, I'm planning on attending UO in the winter.
    My Dad started getting season tickets in 1996, and I've been going ever since, only missed a few games.  I even left a friends wedding early(I hope he's not reading this), in which I was the best man, for a game against Idaho.  IDAHO!  I've been to many road games and bowl games.  So many great memories, that could be a whole 'nother blog itself.
   I don't expect us to go undefeated during the regular season again, but I do think we'll win at least 10 games and go to a BCS bowl game.
   In addition to Duck football I love music, writing, spinning on the turtable, and working out at the gym.  I love all types of music, starting with rap, then rock/metal, some pop, and even a little Frank Sinatra (thanks to my Grandpa).  I love to write and talk about sports.  I'm going to UO to get my degree in broadcast journalism.  I'd love to cover the Ducks someday, or have my own sports talk show.  Hey Portland needs a sports talk show host who actually watches sports, comes strong with their opinion, and actually knows what they're talking about.  Sorry but Isaac and Suke just don't cut it.  They're weak.
   So that's all for now, if you took the time to read this all, you're awesome.  I'd like to meet as many of you Duck fans on here as I can at a game.  You can find me in sec 28 row 46 seat 16 or 17 during the game, or tailgating before in parking lot number 6513.

No comments:

Post a Comment