Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Look Back On The Season

***NOTE*** This is the last note I'm doing for a while.  I'm goin in the basement (as Rome would say). I need a break from this (writing here and for other sites) and I'm sure you need a break from me.  It gives me time to sit back and develop new takes on things such as the NBA, NFL postseason, college football bowl season, and whatever else.  I'll come back though, better than ever, but it'll probably be at least a month.***


   Players learn lessons all the time.  They miss a read or an assignment, they get called out in practice or in film.  They turn it over in a game or commit a stupid penalty, they may have to run stairs or do push-ups in practice.  They get caught doin 120 at 2 AM with weed in the car (belonging to somebody else of course), they get suspended.  Hopefully lesson learned.  But players aren't the only ones learning lessons, turns out fans do too.
   During the summer a prominent professor of broadcast journalism, who's had a pretty successful career in the media, suggested to me that I start posting my takes on sports to a blog, or website.  He liked my stuff, and thought it would be a good way to get my footing.  After thinking about what I would cover, I naturally thought of the Ducks - my number one beat - the topic I'm most passionate about.  And looking back on my notes during the season, I've learned I need to follow my own advice when dealing with losses, amongst other things.
   I've had fun tracking the season and writing about it.  Here's a quick look back on how the Ducks got to where they are now, starting with week one against LSU.
     After an off-season filled with controversy, the Ducks came into the season with high expectations from a team that lost the national championship by a last second field goal, and returned almost everybody at the skill positions from that team.  Part of the off-season controversy was the Cliff Harris suspension, as the third ranked Ducks went into the season without their all-American corner, in a showdown against fourth ranked LSU.  A game with national title implications.
   It was a game filled with mistakes as the Ducks lost a close one.  Take away a turnover here, or a penalty there, and maybe it's a different outcome?  Maybe it's not.  Don't forget, Oregon out gained LSU, and put up the most points against them this season.
   But the young, resilient Ducks bounced back by winning nine games in a row.  Memorable games included the Cal game, Arizona St., Washington, and Stanford games.  Cal because it was the game LMJ ripped his arm out of the socket and put it back in himself.  Arizona St. because it had the first "big game feel" to it.  Both teams were ranked in the top 15 and GameDay was there.  Washington because any game with them is huge.  This one was big because it meant so much to Washington fans.  An Oregon win put them back in their place.
   I also learned that I can break my Duck superstitions and the Ducks will still win.  By watching that game with friends at Big Al's - a sports bar in Beaverton - instead of alone, I was breaking a superstition of mine.  Well the Ducks won, and I had the time of my life celebrating the victory with my friends.
   And Stanford because it was Oregon's chance to get back in the national title picture.  Not only did they win, but they won convincingly, which was great!
   Then I learned that maybe I do need to follow my Duck superstitions leading up to the SC game.  You see, by being all cocky, karma came back to bite me in the ass.
   The number three Ducks came out sloppy and lost to a team they should've beaten.  They were 14 point favorites for a reason, they were the better team.  Just not on that day.  But once again they bounced back.  They crushed the beavers for their fourth straight win in the civil war, and had a relatively easy time in putting away UCLA in the first ever Pac 12 championship game.  That brings us to now.
   The Ducks are 11-2 and playing Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, their second appearance in the grandaddy of them all in three years.  I have my thoughts about this game, and who I think could win.  I think the Ducks are very capable of winning, and if they are to win the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1917, they need to bring the team that showed up to beat Stanford, and not the team that lost to SC.
   One thing is certain, the Ducks need to win this game...plain and simple.  Fans are saying it, former players are saying it, current players and coaches are saying it as well.  To become a legitimate program the Ducks need to win.  It's no longer good enough just getting there.  They're on their way to being viewed as a cute little program that loses on the big stage.  I'm not gonna sugar coat it, the Ducks lose, and the season will be a disappointment.
   Another thing I learned is there are so many memorable moments you go through during the season, beyond just the game itself.  That's what college football does - it creates those memories.  Pukin your guts out at a game, having to sit on the cold pavement by the restroom (on a freezing cold night) because you can't even stand is a memory!  A more pleasant memory has been the people I've met, and formed friendships with.
   I wanna give a special shoutout to Jason and Landen Stiner, and the whole Stiner family.  I've learned a lot from Landen, like how to be stronger, and a better person.
   Also, shoutout to the dream team, Duck Pond Man, Don L. Sutton, Seymour Duck, Stacy Zook, Michael Ducklovegirl Simmons-Kelly (and her daughter), Pamela Perry, and anybody else I may have missed.
   BIG THANKS to Xile and Jared Sawyer for letting me be a part of O TIME, and John Laird...a BAMF if there ever was one.  The future is bright guys, and I look forward to learning new lessons, and more positive memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment