Friday, February 24, 2012

Jeremy Lin Let Me Down

I gave you a chance and what did you do?  You threw it back in my face so forget you!  In case you're wondering, I'm talking about his less than stellar performance in last nights spotlight game against the Heat.  

I'm a little disappointed with Lin BECAUSE of that performance.  You see, I was slow to come around to the hype known as "Linsanity."  I thought it was just another case of the New York hype machine sensationalizing another story.

Lin wasn't overlooked by over 300 colleges, as many will tell you.  He turned down a lot of colleges himself because he wanted to get playing time.  It just turns out that Harvard was that school, and he was really smart too!

And he's certainly not the first player to "slip through the cracks," only to make it in the league as a starter.

But there is an underdog story to him that we can all get behind, including myself, which I finally did recently.

So I was all excited yesterday to watch a complete game of Lin's, as they played the NBA's best team, the Miami Heat, in a rivalry game on national television.  Lin played terrible:  8 points and 8 turnovers, in what many people are saying was his worst game.


To be fair, it's not his fault for all the hype and attention thrown upon him.  But part of what comes with the territory of being a big time player, comes the pressure of being in the spotlight.  This was his chance to step up and prove the hype was warranted, and he didn't do it.


Now he's in the doghouse with me.  He's gonna have to earn that trust back. 

1 comment:

  1. Also, give the heat some credit as well. Boy they looked good last night, didn't they? If they play as good as that in June, they'll finally live up to their OWN set of hype, and probably win the 'ship.

    ReplyDelete